15 Dec 2020

On A Day Like Today

You can listen to this poem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JJdRPCq6Ns&t=2s


The sky a hateful stone gray, like a thousand concrete walls. Clouds, dark and hefty like giant colliding buffalos.

On a day like today, windblown, wet, cold, harsh, like an accusing squint. I fight the memories that sting and bite.

My troubled mind a rattle with sinister old jingles that ring with pain, pain, pain. The past with its ugliness comes rushing, an endless backbreaking winter.

I want the darkness outside to reflect the darkness within, but when night came, traffic lights bled into menacing red and green snakes, uncoiling on inky streets.

All graves unburied, all badly sewn wounds unstitched, all my banished ghosts are back to haunt me, my sleeping grief opens its cruel yellow eyes and cackles, I could burst with all the tears I can’t cry.

On a day like today nothing is real, I feel the sunless, steely sky in my bones, like an ugly grimace,

The trees are wicked, old, misshapen things with pointy dark fingers, even the birds suspended midair are wooden, unreal

Everything feels like a purple throbbing bruise, a thousand doors slam shut in my head, I can’t see the kind faces saying ‘good morning’, my smile a separate detached thing on my face

Every word grates on me; a woman says “it was like having my eyes rubbed with sand paper” my teeth clench, my eyes shut, my muscles ache, the violence of her metaphor bears on me all day, I bend with pain.

I hear all things in images, l hold on to the robustness of things, I peel off my clothes, black and heavy with sweat, rid of its bondage, my sore body exhales. My grip tight around the shower tap, water as hard as hailstones burrowing in my skin. I want to disappear in it, to evaporate and drop like the cold tears on the bathroom mirror, Oh to melt, to wash away like dead skin down the drain.