13 May 2016

Forough Farrokhzad 'Another Birth' - Recorded Poem


Forough Farrokhzad (1935 - 1967) is an Iranian poet I have always admired, her poetry is powerful, direct, honest and often confessional. I read her work translated in English, 'Another Birth' is a beautiful and passionate poem, I have recorded it in my voice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s6WE1MTH_I

I believe in keeping inspirational poetesses alive, as sadly, it seems Farrokhzad is gradually fading away, although I hope I'm wrong. This magnificent lady died young (early thirties), she lived a harsh life; disowned by her family, brutally fought in court by her ex-husband, deprived from her only child, rejected by society, dismissed by publishers and the literary seen flourishing in Iran during that period due to patriarchy and conservatism. To me Farrokhzad is a heroine and an inspiration, if you'd like to read more about her, see my post http://fatimaalmatar.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/wind-up-doll-forugh-farrokhzad-pushing.html