11 Mar 2018

the switch


Suddenly, out of nowhere

a switch, a vital switch, somewhere beyond my reach, turns off

the light is gone

I’m an old, haunted house

ramshackle, dark and spooky

my life is an old tasteless gum, I can’t stop chewing

my sadness comes down on me, like a garbage tsunami

like the shock of bumping into the one person I’m trying to avoid

it doesn’t matter how nice the weather is

or how many “nice” people stop by my office to say hello

there isn’t anything a head, but mouths,

gnawing, persisting mouths, gnashing, yellowing, jittery toothed mouths. Clanking shoes, rattling keys, emotionally crippling ringtones, and laughter, loud and patronizing

I can’t wait for the day to end, to put on my worn-out grey t-shirt, and fall into the nothingness of sleep, but my dreams are torturous, I wake to my heart thudding like sneakers in a dryer. I can’t wait for the night to end, for the dizzying, monotonous merry-go-round of day to shackle me once more

I want to hold on to something; an idea, a dream, a feeling, a memory, a song, a prospect, something I can touch, something with meaning, with direction; the tattered flag relentlessly flapping in the wind, the dove in search of her mate in the sanctity of mosque domes

instead, I contemplate this defeating journey of loss. Since birth, all beloved things taken from us, all spiteful things shoved inside us.