17 Mar 2017

Words that keep me afloat when I’m drowning


The following words/sayings/proverbs have been of great help to me through the difficult time I've been enduring:



1. When my life feels like chaos, nothing is going right, and nothing is making sense:

"No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place"   Zen proverb

"All is well. Everything is working out for my highest good. Out of this situation only good will come. I am safe"  Louise Hay

"When you’re going through something hard and wonder where God is, remember the teacher is always quiet during a test"



2. When I feel like an underserving, worthless failure:

"If your compassion does not include yourself its incomplete"  Buddha
"In taking care of myself, I take care of the world"



3. When I’m running, seeking, searching, desperate and panting, applying for job and getting rejected, trying to sell my paintings and getting rejected, trying to publish my writing and getting rejected:

"Don’t be upset when people reject you. Nice things are rejected all the time by people who can’t afford them"
"There’s nowhere to go, and nothing to be, there’s only right here, right now"
"All the elements for your happiness are already here. There is no need to run, strive, search, or struggle. Just be"   Thich Nhat Hanh




4. When I’m ashamed of my fragility and brokenness:

"There’s a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen
"The mind shows you darkness so you can transform it into light" Buddha
"Once you express your sorrow from the bottom of your heart, it will be washed away. Look at a flower, it can never hide its scent or its color"  Rumi
"Pretending you don’t have feelings of anger, sadness, or loneliness, can literally destroy you mentally"



5. When I’m searching for a new faith, or a group to go to, or a religion to belong to, or an idea to stand for:

"Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple, kindness" Dalai Lama
"What you seek is seeking you" Rumi
"Everything in the universe is within you, ask all from yourself " Rumi



6. When people criticize me, judge me, shame me, and insinuate that I’m not normal. When I’m doubting myself and what I’m capable of:

"Those who judge will never understand, and those who understand will never judge"  Wilson Kanadi
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"  Morticia Adams
"Close your eyes and imagine the best version of you possible. That’s who you really are, Let go of any part of you that doesn’t believe it"  C. Assaad
"Remember, despite how open, peaceful and loving you attempt to be, people can only meet you, as deeply as they’ve met themselves"  Matt Kahn