1 Mar 2013



With me

I miss her now she is 7
not long ago she fit perfectly into my forearm
rocking her gently, I wondered what her voice would sound like
driving on long winding roads in the dark
she slept peacefully in the back seat
knowing she was safe with me

Four years ago my mother and I hardly spoke
blaming each other for what we could not change
passive to the crumbling of my marriage
she sent me letters
with oceans between us she'd explain:
'this is the only way we won't scream at each other'

Tearful, broken and alone, I packed and drove
from city to city; I kept going
with a baby in the back seat
sleeping peacefully
knowing she was safe with me














طالما هي معي 


أشتاق إليها الآن
الآن لم تعد طفلة صغيرة
كم كبرت وازداد بعد رأسها عن قدميها
وهي التي كانت يوماً بحجم ذراعي تماماً
تنام بين رسغي و مرفقي
أتمايل بها بحب و حنان يميناً ويساراً لعلها تنام
وبشوق أتسائل كم سيكون جميلاً صوتها عندما تبدأ بالكلام

في الطرق الوعرة التي قذفتنا بإتجاهها الحياة
أقود أنا بقلق و بشغفِ خوفي عليها
و تنام هي في المقعد الخلفي بإطئنان
أجبرتنا الأقدارا كثيراً على الرحيل
إما تعباً وكرهاً أو بحثاً عن وطن جديد
و تنام هي دائماً في المقعد الخلفي و بداخلها
صوت يخبرها أنها طالما كانت معي
فهي بأمان