6 Mar 2024

I Walked Back Inside My Childhood - Poem

 Click HERE to listen to my poem I Walked Back Inside My Childhood. 


“We are all refugees from our childhoods.” Mohsin Hamid.

 

I walked back inside my childhood,

Where every night, under my closed lids, the universe crumbled.

Where every morning the world was built a new

 

In the unfolding of kites and ribbons

I walked back inside my childhood

My Gods were;

the red breasted robin,

The trees I climbed,

The thick white clouds,

The swarm of bees,

The pebbly beach,

The seagull’s cry.

 

I walked back inside my childhood,

I didn’t yet have a body,

And my body was all I had,

Elastic limbs leaping, jumping, bouncing off every rock, every shore, every hill,

Flying, and I often flew, I kissed a tangerine-colored sun, and in feather like ecstasy, fell

down a lilac gingham sky.

 

I walked back inside my childhood

Life was constant motion, an ant colony I absorbed through my senses

Before language, before meaning sloshed and boomed in my mind

I understood things that were never taught me

Grownups were safety, grownups were harm.

There was ice and there was fire

There was the loose fitfulness of love, there was the tight clutch of abandonment

 

I crept back inside my childhood

Inside the whale’s stomach

I searched for my old discarded selves;

The formed, the half-formed, and the transformed,

the roads taken, the roads abandoned, the impossible roads

The crisscross tire tracks to a long-gone home

 

I crawled back inside my childhood

In its fathomless abyss

I smelled my father’s violence, I tasted my father’s rage

I drank my mother’s sadness, I drowned in her submissive, bitter tears,

Inside me, trust is a broken mirror, it twisted, lacerated, and tore,

The man, the oppressor. The oppressor, the man.

War was in the shape of a man

Brutality took the shape of a man,

Every man an image of my father’s cruelty

Every fist, my father’s first

His clenched teeth, his hateful jeer, the poisonous snake uncoiling, the mantra to which I fell asleep

 

I slithered back inside my childhood

In the raven plumage of night

I unearthed graves I dug with bare fingers,

to bury people, I promised I’ll never be

with dirt under my nails, shivering, and delirious

I died inside my childhood

The birds that sang in vermillion, were now silent

The vibrant daffodils gone gray

I could start again, I thought

I could start again, I lied.

 

My childhood

The endless game of hide and seek, when I was SO afraid of being found,

When I was SO desperate to be found

My childhood

The scent of my grandmother’s house

The sinister cat eyes glowing in the dark

My childhood

The quicksilver of rain puddles

The shedding of innocence and teeth

My childhood

The vanished treasure I had under lock and key.

The softest stuffed animal, the voodoo doll.

My childhood

The jungle of joy, the long narrow coffin

The utter madness, the fleeting wonder

My childhood

The golden impoverished kingdom

The ruthless, most gentle song.