9 Apr 2020

Rich Hot Taffy




I’m my most triumphant in the morning, waking before the sun.


The satisfying click of the leash on my dog’s collar. Our vigorous pants, running through morning mist.


A red breasted robin chattering, calling us to look up. My face ruddy and flushed with the dawn’s clean cold air.


My cat welcomes us back with a long pink yawn, his luxurious clawing stretch on the velvet sofa, the cold still nipping at my ears and nose.


The fierceness of the shower. How many heads before mine lifted their faces to this forceful source of calm? I imagine a Sandra, a Gary, a Sophia, a Ray; the same gesture of thawing rigid bodies under the caressing warmth of water.


The sun rises especially for my benefit. The energy of the blender, the stove, the washing machine, and the steaming coffee pot, an efficiency irrelevant to the chaotic beauty outside.


I had deep profound words last night, as my mind slowly came apart before sleep. Like rich stretching taffy, sweet and thick. My third black bitter coffee molded my sugary words into to do lists, and whipped my mind into shape.


At dusk the sky puts on its best show. Thoughts that were rattled and shaken, tufts in a snow glob begin to settle. I let go of a breath I didn’t know I was holding. This is what the world can do, this is how beautiful and peaceful the world can be, outside my messy noisy mind, besides the pain, fear, and horror the news screams throughout the day. Nature can rebirth itself, the world can calm itself once more.


My aching body tells me how hard I’ve tried when I lie down to sleep. My mind slowly disintegrates, hot sugary taffy, thick and rich.


I will remember these deep profound thoughts in the morning I convince myself, too lazy to reach for my notebook and pen.