28 Apr 2018

freedom

                                                                                     
Freedom - oil on canvas - 50x60 cm
I painted this because I’ve been thinking about freedom, and because I was thinking about what happened in 2011-2012. During that year, a pale resemblance to a revolution took place in Kuwait. Perhaps a reluctant, shy echo of the Arab Spring that was brave and roaring in other Middle Eastern countries. As a revolutionist myself I naively took to social media, and unwisely voiced my political views. Now I laugh a sad soundless laugh at how ambitious my dreams were; an elected government, and end to the monarchy! I had a lot of sweet, bookish ideas of how to create social justice, eradicate class distinction, racism, sexism, and government corruption.
When I think back on how I was prosecuted - slightly dodging a jail sentence - and how other activists were jailed. I think about how we were like birds, small, frail birds, that saw the barbed wires ahead but brazenly imagined we could fly through them. We measured the freedom that could have been ours on the other side, all that sky. But we undermined the danger. We were caught by the rusty metallic old hook, sharp and tyrant. In our foolish attempt to break free; we flapped our wings violently, we shook, we struggled, we refused, we resisted. Not understanding, that all the while we drove the nails of oppression and dictatorship deeper into our wings, into our flesh, into dreams of freedom.