22 Jan 2018

the brute




6:00 pm, the day already feels old and chewed up,

like a worn garment, that’s lost its morning freshness, drab and clammy,

My thoughts of tomorrow already full of dread. Tomorrow, when it comes,

eager and uninvited, like an odious, old habit, nagging me to do this, forcing me to finish that.

The familiar, tongue-less voice, reverberating within the walls of my body, small and defeated:

I’m tired.. I’m tired..

I measure the distances, relentless travel hours, to where I wish I was

Six hours and forty three minutes to Morocco

Seven hours and twenty seven minutes to Mauritius

Nineteen hours and twelve minutes to New Zealand

While my existence grows shabbier, my bones heavier, my tread more stooped

Damn time, damn distance, damn existence

Damn this bewildering feeling of hopelessness..

And then, the final absurd paradox the miserable day manages to wring out of me  

what a powerful, ferocious a brute, a tyrant, a dictator hopelessness is.