17 Jan 2018

depression



My body is an old, stiff, corpse    

I wake up every morning to manhandle it, I am not inside it

I shove my heavy, rigid arms into shirt sleeves

I force my aching, limp legs into trouser legs

ground meat stuffed in skin encasing

I standup straight, my back complains, it wants to bend, it wants to curl

my body refuses to be a body 

feeling disconnected, and defeated, and poor

was I ever put together?

rusty daggers thrust into my brain, the taste of something metallic in my mouth

an exhausting din that will not stop, a foggy dim that won’t clear

I do my duties, nothing is delayed, nothing is misplaced, or forgotten

I’m not sure how I face day after spirit breaking day, but I do

dread, like poisoned blades of grass push through my veins, freshly cut reasons not to go on

my eyes, murky ponds that reflect nothing, the slightest light insults them

a bruised fatigued creature has replaced my heart, its beating strenuous

my will, a runover fawn, raspy breath, and wheezing, a wild eyed, dying animal

nearing the end of the day, I fall into an emptiness so vast, so lonely, so incoherent

was there ever anything but suffering?

somewhere in a parallel universe

someone sees me, someone loves me, adores me

someone understands my eyes, someone knows me

someone believes in all the goodness I carry

in a parallel universe, someone fights for me

somewhere in another universe

if only I believed in love, more than I believed in pain