30 Aug 2020

Saved Texts

I save the texts I never sent him. I learned to do this when his repeated flat responses, left me crestfallen. Is the disappointment we feel when someone doesn’t match our energy a thing? Or is it a modern invention, as superficial as texting? Were people in the past crushed upon receiving austere replies to their passionate letters? Surely they were.

In a wireless world, where everything is mysteriously floating, unseen, in the air, information saved on clouds, and virtual mail sometimes delivered to Spam folders instead of Inboxes. I long to be anchored; a heavy earpiece in my grip, tethered to a boxy device, curling and uncurling my fingers around the rubbery wire. My voice, my words running on legs of meaning and intention through tangible lines, burrowing into walls, journeying through underground roots, on tree like telephone poles, finally reaching my loved one on the other side.

One of the unsent texts, still living in the dark knotty weave of my cell’s algorithm, is a funny meme I found on Pinterest. I imagined his elusive, sometimes hazel, sometimes green eyes flash with recognition, his backward laugh Ah ah ah ah, when the joke sunk in. But on second thought, I knew it was all in my head, that his response won’t be more than a subdued little scoff

Another aborted text is a photo I took of a sunset, the sky put on its best show, a violent red, tearing the stomach of a royal purple background. I captioned it “look! The world is on fire!” But I was too eager, and I knew his vacuous response will leave me swelling with unmet, and unequaled energy.

Some texts I wrote, then immediately deleted, when I feared I was being too poetic, “you are more with me in your absence.” Or too philosophical, “I feel I’m in the middle of the story; where the fruit is almost ripe, and the wisdom almost won, but you remain in the beginning.” like sandcastles they looked sturdier in my mind, but crumbled when I set out to construct them.

“This relationship isn’t sustaining me.” This text I sent. When we were together I wondered how he remained untouched by the world? How he managed to go through life with barbed wire around his heart? His body the purest white alabaster? While mine a multicolored patchwork, of everyone that built and destroyed me. When he refused to communicate, I convinced myself he was emotionally unavailable When we did speak, our words missed each other, like poorly aimed arrows, I saw them fall dead on the ground. 

Listen to an audio of this memoir piece here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txj5txWW9wI&t=157s