19 Dec 2019

Happy Birthday



It was a day like today, fourteen years ago I gave birth to you. The white that blanketed the roads and commons, made me squint my eyes, the bitter iciness of the wind stung my face, and took my breath away. The snow came down hard, car tires made that funny crunching sound as they went. People skidded, and fell as the snow hardened into a severe sheet of ice. It was the coldest winter they’ve had in sixty years, the British had said, shaking their heads. 


We lived on 37 Coniston Road, Coventry, while I did my Masters. Before moving to 67 Dugdale Road where I did my PhD. “They were horrendous, absolutely horrendous” The old Irish woman who lived next door to us on Coniston Road, liked to say of how brutal the British were to the Irish during the war. Every time we met out on the porch, I said good morning, or hello, and she’d ask me to repeat what I said “I’m a little deaf, it happens to everyone you know” she’d yell with a little mocking laugh. It’s a shame I forgot what her name was.


My due date was December 25th. My midwife was happy that I was to have a Christmas baby. And the nurse who squeezed the cold gel on my enormous stomach, and ran the transducer on my belly during the ultrasound, was happy I was going to have a Christmas baby. Due date. Everyone wanted to know when my due date was. For nine months my whole life revolved around my due date. Little did I know that you’d change my whole life, the end of those nine months was just the beginning, not the end.


But you were an early baby, eager and in a hurry to arrive, and you came on the 19th. I welcomed your early arrival, my stomach had grown so big, I couldn’t sleep, I couldn’t eat, my breathing was labored, I was so tired. When I read that walking can help induce the delivery, I went up and down the stairs, it was too cold to walk outside, I could slip on the ice. Up and down the stairs I went in that little house, until my water broke and the pains came.


When you were little you used to love getting your picture taken, or at least you didn’t mind it. Now you scowl and groan each time I tell you I want to take your picture. I hope you change your mind again, and go back to loving it once more.

You’re fourteen. Happy Birthday my love. It’s been the most beautiful adventure. Thank you for all the joy you’ve brought into my life. Thank you for teaching me what enormous love and compassion I am capable of.